- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Watercolor, gouache, black and brown ink, black chalk on off-white wove paper
- 29.5 x 22.8 cm (11 5/8 x 9 in.)
framed: 54.5 x 45.6 cm (21 7/16 x 17 15/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: black ink, l.l.: un coin des Halles C. Pissarro 1889
- Scott and Fowles, New York; acquired from them by Grenville L. Winthrop, December 1923 ($630); his bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Dorothy W. Gillerman, ed., Grenville L. Winthrop: Retrospective for a Collector, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, 1969), cat. no. 116, repr.
Pissarro: Camille Pissaro, 1830-1903, exh. cat., Hayward Gallery (London, England, 1981), pg. 180, under no. 132
Christopher Lloyd, "The Market Scenes of Camille Pissarro", Art Bulletin of Victoria, Council of the National Gallery of Victoria (Melbourne, 1985), 25, pg. 31, n. 20
Richard Thomson, Camille Pissarro: Impressionism, Landscape, and Rural Labour, exh. cat., South Bank Centre (London, 1990), pg. 73, fig. 85
Joachim Pissarro, Camille Pissarro, Harry N. Abrams, Inc. (New York, 1993), pp. 202, 206, fig. 241
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, exh. cat., The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Yale University Press (U.S.) (New York, 2003), cat. no. 99, repr. (color)
Ruth Iskin, Modern Women and Parisian Consumer Culture in Impressionist Painting, Cambridge University Press (Cambridge, England, 2006), p. 155; fig. 65
Ewa Lajer-Burcharth and Elizabeth M. Rudy, ed., Drawing: The Invention of a Modern Medium, exh. cat., Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, 2017), pp. 227, 229, 286, repr. p. 226 as fig. 2
Allison Deutsch, Consuming Painting: Food and the Feminine in Impressionist Paris, Pennsylvania State University Press (University Park, 2021), pp. 122, 124, repr. p. 124 as fig. 47
- Exhibition History
Grenville L. Winthrop: Retrospective for a Collector, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 01/23/1969 - 03/31/1969
A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 10/23/2003 - 01/25/2004
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org