- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Hilaire-Germain-Edgar Degas, French (Paris, France 1834 - 1917 Paris, France)
After François Clouet, French (1510 - 1572)
- Head of a Bearded Old Man, after a Drawing in the Louvre by François Clouet
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Graphite and white gouache on tan wove paper
- actual: 30.4 x 23.5 cm (11 15/16 x 9 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- stamp: l.l.: Vente signature stamp [L. 658] in red
- stamp: l.r.: Atelier stamp [L. 657] in pink
- [Fourth sale of the estate of Edgar Degas at the Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, July 2-4, 1919, lot 87d, sold]; [to Durand-Ruel, New York (1919-?), sold]; to Lillie P. Bliss, New York (?-1934), bequest; to Museum of Modern Art, New York (1934-1943), gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
1. The drawing shared a frame with and was sold with four other drawings at the 1919 Degas estate sale (lots 87a-d).
2. Lillie P. Bliss passed away in 1931 and her bequest to the Museum of Modern Art was finalized 3 years late, according to the terms of her will (which called for an adequate endowment fund to be secured in that interval).
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of The Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Catalogue des tableaux, pastels et dessins par Edgar Degas et provenant de son atelier 4e vente, July 2-4, 1919, auct. cat., Galerie Georges Petit (Paris, France, July 2 - July 4, 1919), no. 87d, repr. (sold in one frame with no. 29 and 3 other drawings)
Prints, Drawings, and Bronzes by Degas, checklist, The Grolier Club (New York, 1922), one of nos. 130-134
Museum of Modern Art, New York, Memorial Exhibition: The Collection of the Late Miss Lizzie P. Bliss, exh. cat., The Plandome Press (New York, NY, 1931), no. 62
John Herron Art Institute, Modern Masters from the Collection of Miss Lizzie P. Bliss, exh. cat. (Indianapolis, IN, 1932), no. 38
The Lillie P. Bliss Collection, Museum of Modern Art, New York (New York, NY, 1934), no. 28, repr.
Marjorie B. Cohn and Jean Sutherland Boggs, Degas at Harvard, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums/Yale University Press (Cambridge and New Haven, 2005), cat. no. 25, fig. 63, p. 32
- Exhibition History
Memorial Exhibition: The Collection of the Late Miss Lizzie P. Bliss, Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York, 05/17/1931 - 09/27/1931
The Collection of Miss Lillie P. Bliss. Fourth Loan Exhibition., Addison Gallery of American Art, Andover, 10/17/1931 - 12/15/1931
Modern Masters from the Collection of Miss Lizzie P. Bliss, John Herron Art Institute, Indianapolis, 01/01/1932 - 01/31/1932
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org