- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Watercolor and black colored pencil on cream wove paper, with graphite framing lines, mounted to secondary support of cream wove paper
- 27.7 x 43.8 cm (10 7/8 x 17 1/4 in.)
With torn corners taken into account: 26.7 x 42.5 cm
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: L.r., black colored pencil and brown ink: Honfleur 12 Sept 1864 (pencil) Jongkind (brown ink)
- Lucien Lefebvre-Foinet. Carroll Carstairs Gallery, New York, 1939, sold; to Martin Birnbaum, 1940, sold; to Grenville L. Winthrop, New York, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
[Reproduction only], [reproduction], Art News, (April 22 1939)., repr. p. 12
Johann Barthold Jongkind, exh. cat., Carroll Carstairs Gallery (New York, NY, 1939), no. 16, fig. 16
[Unidentified article], Bulletin of the Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge Massachusetts, November 1943), 10, p. 26
Chinese Sculpture, Bronzes, Jades, Paintings and Drawings, Egyptian and Persian sculpture, Pre-Columbian art; selected from the collection of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1943), p. 11
"Sixteen Reproductions", Harvard Alumni Bulletin (Cambridge, MA, January 8, 1944), vol. XLVI, pp. 217-20, repr. p. 220
[Unidentified article], The Christian Science Monitor (Winter 1956)
Dorothy W. Gillerman, ed., Grenville L. Winthrop: Retrospective for a Collector, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, 1969), no. 122, p. 190-91, repr.
Victorine Hefting, Jongkind: sa vie, son oeuvre, son époque, Arts et Metiers Graphiques (Paris, France, 1975), no. 314, p. 158, repr.
- Exhibition History
Johann-Barthold Jongkind, Carroll Carstairs Gallery, New York, 04/20/1939 - 05/13/1939
Chinese sculpture, bronzes, jades, paintings and drawings, Egyptian and Persian sculpture, Pre-Columbian art : selected from the collection of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/01/1943 - 02/28/1944
Grenville L. Winthrop: Retrospective for a Collector, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 01/23/1969 - 03/31/1969
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org