- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Folio album in brown quarter leather binding, brown marbled boards.
- 52 x 34.7 cm (20 1/2 x 13 11/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: Inscribed in brown ink at upper center of upper cover: No 1.
- David sale, A. N. Pérignon, Paris, April 17, 1826, and following days, part of no. 66 (withdrawn); second David sale, Hôtel des Ventes, Paris, March 11, 1835, part of no. 16; acquired by "baron J. (Jules?) David"; Henri, vicomte de Béranger; acquired from him through Martin Birnbaum by Grenville L. Winthrop, January 1936 (Fr 30,000); his bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Folio album in brown quarter leather binding, brown marbled boards. Composed of 19 folios, the first 5 of which are blank. 29 drawings and tracings are mounted on the rectos of the next 14 folios and the recto of the final free endpaper. The album pages and the drawings mounted to them were removed from the album in April 2003 because the pages and the album were disintegrating. All of the pages were loose in the album. At an earlier date the pages were numbered in the order in which they were in the album.
- Publication History
Clemency Coggins, "Tracings in the Work of Jacques-Louis David.", Gazette des beaux-arts (November 1968), 6th ser., 72, pp. 260-62, 264 no. 8
Agnes Mongan, "Some Drawings by David from his Roman Album I", Etudes d'art français offertes à Charles Sterling, Presses Universitaires de France (Paris, 1975), pp. 319-326, pp. 319-26, figs. 204-9
Agnes Mongan, David to Corot: French Drawings in the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1996), cat. no. 66, all drawings repr.
Jean-Francois Méjanès, The Timeless Eye: Master Drawings from the Jan and Marie-Anne Krugier-Poniatowski Collection, exh. cat., ed. Philip Rylands, Peggy Guggenheim Collection (Venice, 1999), under no. 71 (whole album)
Pierre Rosenberg and Louis-Antoine Prat, Jacques-Louis David 1748-1825: Catalogue raisonné des dessins, Leonardo Arte (Milan, 2002), nos. 452-82
Anne Bertrand, "Winthrop: le dessein d'une collection", L'Oeil (March 2003), no. 545, p. 46
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, exh. cat., The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Yale University Press (U.S.) (New York, 2003), cat. no. 16, repr. (color), p. 29
Louis-Antoine Prat, Le dessin français au XIXe siècle, Somogy Éditions d'Art (Paris, 2011), p. 17
- Exhibition History
A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon, Lyon, 03/15/2003 - 05/26/2003; National Gallery, London, 06/25/2003 - 09/14/2003
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org