- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Colored chalks on blue wove paper, faded
- 76.8 x 62.6 cm (30 1/4 x 24 5/8 in.)
framed: 97.8 × 83.5 cm (38 1/2 × 32 7/8 in.)
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- Surtees 209
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Three sheets, joined (vertical strip at upper left; horizontal join below center). Laid down. Drawing is slightly irregular.
- Publication History
Henry Currie Marillier, Dante Gabriel Rossetti: An Illustrated Memorial of His Art and Life, George Bell & Sons (London, 1899), pp. 150, 203, no. 210, repr. opp. p. 150
Paintings and Drawings of the Pre-Raphaelites and their Circle, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1946), no. 73
Dorothy W. Gillerman, ed., Grenville L. Winthrop: Retrospective for a Collector, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, 1969), pp. 168-169, no. 111, repr. p. 169
Virginia Surtees, The Paintings and Drawings of Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882): A Catalogue Raisonné, The Clarendon Press (Oxford, England, 1971), no. 209, pl. 297
Maria Teresa Benedetti, Dante Gabriel Rossetti: Disegni, Nuova Italia (Florence, 1982), p. 37, no. 49, repr.
Maria Teresa Benedetti, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Casa Editrice G. C. Sansoni (Florence, Italy, 1984), no. 326, pl. 44
Susan P. Casteras, “Rossetti's Embowered Females in Art, or Love Enthroned and The Lamp's Shrine.”, Nineteenth Century Studies (1988), vol. II, p. 45, repr. p. 46 as fig. 15
Maria Teresa Benedetti, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Charta (Milan, 1998), no. 326, pl. 44
Debra N. Mancoff, Jane Morris: The Pre-Raphaelite Model of Beauty, Pomegranate (San Francisco, CA, 2000), pl. 27 (color), p. 58, detail repr. frontispiece (color)
Chikashi Kitazaki and Mina Oya, ed., Between Reality and Dreams: Nineteenth Century British and French Art from the Winthrop Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, exh. cat., National Museum of Western Art (Ueno, 2002), cat. no. 56, repr. (color)
- Exhibition History
Paintings and Drawings of the Pre-Raphaelites and their Circle, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/08/1946 - 06/01/1946
Between Reality and Dreams: Nineteenth Century British and French Art from the Winthrop Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 09/14/2002 - 12/08/2002
32Q: 2130 19th Century, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 05/03/2016 - 11/16/2016
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org