- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
François Clouet, French (1510 - 1572)
Previously attributed to Hans Holbein the Younger, German (Augsburg, Germany 1497/98 - 1543 London, England)
- René II de La Jaille
- Other Titles
- Former Title: Portrait of La Jaille
- Work Type
- c. 1550
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Black and red chalk with traces of white chalk on cream antique laid paper, laid down on a decorated mount
- 29.2 x 20.5 cm (11 1/2 x 8 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: old mount, upper center: La Jaille
- Catherine de' Medici; Christina of Lorraine; William Ponsonby, 2nd Earl of Bessborough; Frederick Ponsonby, 3rd Earl of Bessborough, by descent (as attributed to Hans Holbein the Younger); Edward M. Hodgkins, Paris and London; Charles Wickert, Paris; George Jay Gould I, Lakewood Township, New Jersey; his son, Kingdon Gould, Sr., by descent; his wife, Annunziata Camilla Maria Gould (née Lucci), by descent; Castano Galleries, Boston, sold; to Fogg Art Museum, 1946, inv. no. 1946.5
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Alpheus Hyatt Purchasing, William M. Prichard, Friends of the Fogg Art Museum Funds
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- René II de La Jaille is represented in simple unornamented dress. His short dark hair, which is inclined to curl, is brushed back from his face. There is a lively, almost mocking expression in his eyes, the faintest hint of a cynical smile on his lips.
- Publication History
Unidentified Author, "Corrections", Art News, Art News Associates (New York, 1946), vol. 45, no. 5, July, p. 58, p. 58
Agnes Mongan, "New Clouets Come to Light in Cambridge", Art News, Art News Associates (New York, 1946), vol. 45, no. 1, March, pp. 24-25, 69-70, pp. 25, 70 (erroneously confused with 1979.42)
Fogg Art Museum, The Bulletin of the Fogg Museum of Art (Cambridge, MA, 1946), n.p., repr. on cover (as attributed to François Clouet)
Agnes Mongan, "A Group of Newly Discovered Sixteenth-Century French Portrait Drawings", Harvard Library Bulletin, Harvard University Library (Cambridge, MA, 1947), vol. 1, no. 2, Spring, pp. 155-75, pp. 163-64, 166, pl. IV, repr.
George L. Stout, Fiftieth Anniversary Exhibition of the Art of Europe during the XVIth-XVIIth Centuries, exh. cat., Worcester Art Museum (Worcester, 1948), cat. no. 36, p. 34
Agnes Mongan, ed., One Hundred Master Drawings, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1949), p. 60, repr. (as François Clouet)
Agnes Mongan, French Drawings of Five Centuries from the Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, exh. cat., Detroit Institute of Arts (Detroit, 1951), cat. no. 3, n.p.
Agnes Mongan, De Clouet a Matisse: Dessins français des collections américaines, exh. cat., Musée de l'Orangerie (Paris, 1958), cat. no. 4, pl. 3, repr.
Agnes Mongan, Van Clouet tot Matisse: tentoonstelling van franse tekeningen uit amerikaanse collecties, exh. cat., Museum Boymans (Rotterdam, 1958), cat. no. 4, pl. 3, repr.
Agnes Mongan, French Drawings from American Collections: Clouet to Matisse, exh. cat., The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, 1959), cat. no. 4, p. 29, pl. 3, repr.
William H. Gerdts and Elaine Evans Gerdts, Old Master Drawings, exh. cat., The Newark Museum (Newark, 1960), cat. no. 19, n.p., repr.
Ruth T. Constantino, How to Know French Antiques, Clarkson N. Potter, Inc. (New York, 1961), p. 99, repr.
Agnes Mongan, Great Drawings of All Time, ed. Ira Moskowitz and Victoria Thorson, Shorewood Publishers Inc. (New York, 1962), cat. no. 646, n.p., repr.
Alexandra Zvereva, Les Clouet de Catherine de Médicis: chefs-d'œuvre graphiques du Musée Condé, Somogy Éditions d'Art (Paris, 2002), pp. 18, 18 n. 54
Alexandra Zvereva, Portraits dessinés de la cour des Valois: les Clouet de Catherine de Médicis, Arthena (Paris, 2011), cat. no. 316, pp. 184, 328-29, repr.
Bruno Chanetz, Le Château de la Grande-Jaille: 800 ans d'histoire en Loudunais, Bruno Chanetz (Sammarçolles, 2013), p. 17, repr.
- Exhibition History
Fiftieth Anniversary Exhibition of the Art of Europe during the XVIth-XVIIth Centuries, Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, 01/01/1948 - 12/31/1948
Seventy Master Drawings: A Loan Exhibition arranged in honor of Professor Paul J. Sachs on the occasion of his seventieth birthday, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 01/01/1948 - 12/31/1949
French Drawings of Five Centuries from the Collection of the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University, Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, 05/15/1951 - 09/30/1951
Cranach to Clouet Portrait Drawings, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 11/23/1951 - 12/31/1951
French Drawings from American Collections: Clouet to Matisse, Museum Boymans, Rotterdam, 07/31/1958 - 09/28/1958; Musée de l'Orangerie, Paris, 10/24/1958 - 01/02/1959; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 02/03/1959 - 03/15/1959
Old Master Drawings, The Newark Museum, Newark, 03/17/1960 - 05/22/1960
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org