- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown ink, black chalk, graphite, and white opaque watercolor on blue antique laid paper, framing line in brown ink
- 13.9 x 19.3 cm (5 1/2 x 7 5/8 in.)
mount: 27.4 x 29.8 cm (10 13/16 x 11 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: Verso, upper left, black chalk: W. V. V J
- inscription: verso, lower center, graphite: A 20923
- inscription: verso, lower right, graphite: 79608
- inscription: verso, lower right, graphite: 62
- collector's mark: lower left, purple ink, stamp: L. 2383 (Walter Schrott)
- collector's mark: verso, upper left, purple ink, stamp: illegible
- inscription: verso, lower left, brown ink: van de Velde fe
- inscription: verso, lower right, graphite: 3
- inscription: mount, lower right, graphite: x
- watermark: none
- Possibly Rocco Leoni, Paris. Walter Schrott, Mendel, Tyrol (L. 2383, lower left).
Unidentified collector, Austria, 1934(?), sold; to Christopher Harris; sold, [P. & D. Colnaghi & Co. Ltd., London, 1955, inv. no. A20923], sold; to Fritz B. Talbot, c. 1955, gift; to Harvard Art Museum, 1956.
NOTE: Information on the transaction at Colnaghi was taken from their stock books, provided by Steven Ongpin.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Dr. Fritz B. Talbot
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Exhibition History
A Loan Exhibition of Master Drawings, Prints, and Water Colors, Emma Willard Arts Center, Emma Willard School, Troy, 10/26/1960 - 10/30/1960
- Subjects and Contexts
Dutch, Flemish, & Netherlandish Drawings
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com