- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Graphite on off-white wove paper
- actual: 34.4 x 8.2 cm (13 9/16 x 3 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- stamp: on verso: Atelier stamp [L. 657]
- Hilaire-Germain-Edgar Degas, To his brother, René.
René Degas, From his brother the artist.
Edmond Degas, see Remarks, Sold to M. Léonce Mauger. According to a letter dated 15 November 1935 from F. M. Gaitry, of Jean Cailac, the drawing "avait été attribué en partage à Monsieur Edmond Degas, neveu de l'artiste."
Léonce Mauger, Paris, Purchased from Edmond Degas. According to a letter [see file] dated 15 November 1935 from F. M. Gaitry, of Jean Cailac, Edmond Degas sold the drawing. "avec de nombreux autres dessins de Degas, à Monsieur Léonce Mauger, ex-fondé de pouvoir de la maison Gustave Pellet à Paris."
Jean Cailac, Paris, Expert, Sold to Paul J. Sachs, 1935.
Paul J. Sachs, Cambridge, Purchased from Jean Cailac, Paris, 1935, Bequest to Fogg Art Museum, 1965.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Meta and Paul J. Sachs
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1940), vol. 1, cat. no. 658, fig. 334
John Rewald and James B. Byrnes, Edgar Degas: his family and friends in New Orleans, exh. cat., Isaac Delgado Museum of Art (New Orleans, LA, 1965), pl. XII
Degas' drawings, Dover Publications Inc. (New York, NY, 1973), pl. 12
Marjorie B. Cohn and Jean Sutherland Boggs, Degas at Harvard, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums/Yale University Press (Cambridge and New Haven, 2005), cat. no. 36, fig. 68
- Exhibition History
Edgar Degas: his family and friends in New Orleans, Isaac Delgado Museum of Art, New Orleans, 05/02/1965 - 06/16/1965
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com