- Identification and Creation
Level 3, Room 3610, University Teaching Gallery
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- Black and white chalk, charcoal, and gray wash on blue antique laid paper, autograph framing line in charcoal; verso: test strokes in white chalk
- 28.3 x 23 cm (11 1/8 x 9 1/16 in.)
mount: 32.6 x 26.9 cm (12 13/16 x 10 9/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: verso, lower left and lower right, black chalk: [lower left] 15 [lower right] 15
- inscription: verso, lower left, graphite: A78752[triangle] [not Colnaghi]
- collector's mark: verso, lower left, black ink, stamp: L. 1507 (John Postle Heseltine)
- inscription: mount, lower center, graphite: 8 7/16 10 3/4.
- inscription: mount, lower center, graphite: N 185 Waterloo
- inscription: mount, lower right, graphite: HVO
- inscription: mount, lower right, graphite: [illegible] P. J. S. / EXV
- inscription: mount, lower right, graphite: 16/8/60.
- inscription: mount, verso, center, graphite: A.WATERLOO
- inscription: former mount, graphite: Waterloo / Heseltine collection
- inscription: former mount, graphite: s [encircled] Paul Sachs / no. 542
- inscription: mount, verso, lower right, graphite: HVO
- watermark: none
- John Postle Heseltine, London (L. 1507, with his mark). [Frederick Keppel & Co., New York], sold; to Meta and Paul J. Sachs, Cambridge, Massachusetts (without his mark), by 1933, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1965.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Meta and Paul J. Sachs
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
John Postle Heseltine, Original Drawings by Old Masters of the Dutch School in the Collection of J.P.H., Chiswick Press (London, England, 1910), cat. no. 36, n.p., repr.
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1940), vol. 1, cat. no. 542, p. 284; vol. 2, repr. fig. 280
An Exhibition of Dutch and Flemish Drawings and Watercolors, checklist, Unpublished (1954), cat. no. 59, p. 14
Agnes Mongan, Memorial Exhibition: Works of Art from the Collection of Paul J. Sachs [1878-1965]: given and bequeathed to the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, exh. cat., Harvard University (Cambridge, MA, 1965), p. 206
- Exhibition History
An Exhibition of Dutch and Flemish Drawings and Watercolors, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/01/1954 - 04/30/1954
- Subjects and Contexts
Dutch, Flemish, & Netherlandish Drawings
- Related Media
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com