- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Red and white chalk on tan antique laid paper
- irregular: 22.8 x 17.3 cm (9 x 6 13/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: lower left, brown ink: f. Boucher f.
- watermark: none
- The Swetzoff Gallery, Boston, 1964, sold; to Agnes Mongan, Cambridge, MA, gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1982, inv. no. 1982.127
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Agnes Mongan
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Eighteenth & Nineteenth Century French Drawings & Prints with a Selection of Drawings by J.A.D Ingres, checklist, Archer M. Huntington Gallery (Austin, 1977), checklist no. 3, n.p.
Beverly Schreiber Jacoby, "François Boucher's Early Development as a Draughtsman, 1720-1734" (1986), Garland Publishing, Inc., cat.. no. III.B.2, p. 272, repr.
Alan Wintermute, Watteau and His World: French Drawing from 1700 to 1750, exh. cat., Merrell Holberton Publishers / American Federation of Arts (London, 1999), pp. 186-87
Françoise Joulie, "Natoire and Boucher: Two Studies for a Don Quixote Tapestry", Metropolitan Museum Journal, University of Chicago Press and Metropolitan Museum of Art Press (Chicago and New York, 2004), vol 36, pp. 153-59, p. 156
Sonia Couturier, French Drawings from the National Gallery of Canada / Dessins français du Musée des beaux-arts du Canada, exh. cat., National Gallery of Canada (Ottawa, 2004), pp. 90-91, fig. 57, repr.
Ewa Lajer-Burcharth and Elizabeth M. Rudy, ed., Drawing: The Invention of a Modern Medium, exh. cat., Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, 2017), p. 148, repr. p. 147 as fig. 2
- Exhibition History
Eighteenth & Nineteenth Century French Drawings & Prints with a Selection of Drawings by J.A.D. Ingres, Archer M. Huntington Gallery, Austin, 02/06/1977 - 03/20/1977
HAA 271x The Origins of Modernity: The "New" 18th Century Rotation #1: Large Niche (S426A) Spring 2011, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 01/14/2011 - 03/05/2011
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com