- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Attributed to The Berlin Painter, Greek (500 BCE - 470 BCE)
- Lekythos (oil flask): Dionysos Holding a Kantharos
- Work Type
- c. 480 BCE
- Creation Place: Ancient & Byzantine World, Europe, Athens (Attica)
- Classical period, Early
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Overall: 34 x 11.4 cm (13 3/8 x 4 1/2 in.)
- Philipp Lederer, Lugano, Switzerland. [Charles Lucien Morley, St. Moritz, Switzerland and New York (by 1942)], sold; to Frederick M. Watkins, New Haven, CT, (1942-1972), bequest; to the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, 1972.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- Beazley Archive Database #202016
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Bequest of Frederick M. Watkins
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- A bearded Dionysos stands facing right, wearing a long chiton, whose fine creases are done in diluted gloss, and mantle. He holds a staff with an ivy sprig in his left hand and a kantharos (two-handled drinking cup) drawn in silhouette in his right. He wears a wreath and stands barefoot.
- Publication History
The Frederick M. Watkins Collection, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1973)
Caroline Houser, Dionysos and His Circle: Ancient Through Modern, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, 1979), no. 9.
David Gordon Mitten and Amy Brauer, Dialogue with Antiquity, The Curatorial Achievement of George M. A. Hanfmann, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1982), p. 12, no. 20.
[Reproduction Only], Persephone, (Spring 2005)., p. 5
Michael Padgett, ed., The Berlin Painter and His World: Athenian vase-painting int he early fifth century B.C., exh. cat., Yale University Press (U.S.) and Princeton University Art Museum (New Haven, 2017), pp. 306-307, no. 52
- Exhibition History
Dialogue with Antiquity: The Curatorial Achievement of George M.A. Hanfmann, Fogg Art Museum, 05/07/1982 - 06/26/1982
The Frederick M. Watkins Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 01/31/1973 - 03/14/1973
Dionysos and His Circle: Ancient through Modern, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 12/10/1979 - 02/10/1980
Fragments of Antiquity: Drawing Upon Greek Vases, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 03/15/1997 - 12/28/1997
The Berlin Painter and his World: Athenian Vase-Painting in the Early Fifth Century, Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton, 03/04/2017 - 06/11/2017; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, 07/07/2017 - 10/01/2017
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at firstname.lastname@example.org