- Identification and Creation
Level 3, Room 3600, University Research Gallery
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- Etching, engraving, and drypoint on white antique laid paper
- Etching, engraving and drypoint
- image: 20.5 × 27.7 cm (8 1/16 × 10 7/8 in.)
mounting sheet: 27.4 × 35 cm (10 13/16 × 13 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- collector's mark: verso, lower left, black ink stamp: Dr. / WA [linked] / Pr. [within a circular border; Wilhelm August Ackermann (Lugt 791)]
- inscription: on secondary sheet, lower margin, graphite: Bartsch.212 (Cl 209) Ack.s. 698
- inscription: verso, secondary sheet, upper center, graphite: Nr. 2380.
- inscription: verso, secondary sheet, graphite: 89-h [?]
- inscription: verso, graphite: E. H. G. [Edward Hale Greenleaf; late 19th-c. inventory of the Gray Collection]
- collector's mark: verso, purple stamp with graphite numbering within: [Gray Collection accession stamp (Lugt 4836)] 3264
- W. Ackermann.
Francis Calley Gray, bequest to nephew, 1856.
William Gray, gift to Harvard University, 1857.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- only state
- Standard Reference Number
- New Hollstein 214, Bartsch 212, Hind 205, Rovinski 212
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of William Gray from the collection of Francis Calley Gray
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Emma Chambers, An Indolent and Blundering Art?: The Etching Revival and the Redefinition of Etching in England, 1838-1892, Ashgate Publishing (Aldershot, England, 1999), repr. as fig. 1.4 on p. 28 [not Harvard impression; related bibliography]
Ivan Gaskell, Rembrandt and the Aesthetics of Technique, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2006), checklist
- Exhibition History
Rembrandt: A Selection of his Works, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 10/18/1984 - 12/11/1984
Rembrandt and the Aesthetics of Technique, Harvard University Art Museums, Busch-Reisinger Museum, 09/09/2006 - 12/10/2006
Rembrandt Prints & Drawings, Davis Museum at Wellesley College, Wellesley, 11/05/2008 - 12/14/2008
32Q: 2300 Dutch & Flemish, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/09/2016 - 03/09/2017
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org