- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Wenceslaus Hollar, Bohemian (Prague 1607 - 1677 London)
After Titian (Tiziano Vecellio), Italian (Pieve di Cadore, Italy c. 1488 - 1576 Venice, Italy)
- Pietro Aretino
- Other Titles
- Series/Book Title: Italian portraits
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Etching printed in black ink on white antique laid paper
- plate: 25.8 × 19.2 cm (10 3/16 × 7 9/16 in.)
sheet: 31.5 × 23.5 cm (12 3/8 × 9 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: in plate, bottom margin: VERA EFFİGİE DEL POETA PETRO ARETINO/ CAVATO DA TİTİANO SVO AMİCHİSSIMO. / Titanus pinxit. W: Hollar fecit. 1649, Ex Collectione Iohannis et Iacobi van Verle, Franciscus van den Wyngarde excudit.
- inscription: lower sheet margin, graphite: P. 1348 / Ack. 378
- collector's mark: recto, l.l., black stamp: Dr. / WA[linked] / Pr. [within a circular double borderline; Wilhelm August Ackermann (Lugt 791)]
- watermark: bottom: crowned armorial with an animal on a bend and pendant WR
- collector's mark: verso, purple stamp with graphite numbering within: [Gray Collection accession stamp (Lugt 4836)] 1880
Francis Calley Gray, bequest to nephew, 1856.
William Gray, gift to Harvard University, 1857.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- New Hollstein 1043, Pennington 1348
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of William Gray from the collection of Francis Calley Gray
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org