- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- block: 20 x 29.8 cm (7 7/8 x 11 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: Strohmeyer
- Possibly Aby Warburg, gift; to Paul Sachs, 1927, gift; to the Fogg Art Museum, September 8, 1926.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Paul J. Sachs
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Dorothea McEwan, Idea Vincit: :a volante e vittoriosa idea: una commissione artistica di Aby Warburg, Lo sguardo di Giano: Aby Warburg fra tempo e memoria (Turin, Italy, 2004), p. 369, fig. 9
Fernando Esposito, Fascism, Aviation and Mythical Modernity, Palgrave Macmillan Ltd (Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, England, 2015), p. 71, fig. 1.2, ill. (b/w)
Ondřej Váša, "Phaeton, May the Earth Be Light upon You. Aby Warburg's Aviatic Hope on the Pages of the Mnemosyne Atlas", Impossible Heroes: Icarus and Phaeton as the Emblematic Figures of Modern Man, National Gallery in Prague (Prague, 2020), pp. 82-84, 139, fig. 12, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com