- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil? and synthetic medium on canvas.
- 244.5 x 33.3 cm (96 1/4 x 13 1/8 in.)
framed: 246.3 x 35 x 4.5 cm (96 15/16 x 13 3/4 x 1 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.r.: David Smith , Signed Date: 1959
- David Smith, Bolton Landing, New York, sold; to Lois Orswell, Pomfret Center, Connecticut, 1959, gift; to the Harvard University Art Museums, 1994.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Lois Orswell
- © 2020 The Estate of David Smith / Licensed by VAGA at Artists Rights Society (ARS), NY
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Marjorie B. Cohn and Sarah Kianovsky, Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2002), cat. no. 221, p. 348, 378
Richard Mulholland, "Of Dreams and Visions and Things Not Known: Looking at David Smith's Drawing Media" (thesis (certificate in conservation), Straus Center for Conservation and Technical Studies, 2003), Unpublished, pp. 1-43 passim
- Exhibition History
David Smith: "This work is my identity", Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/03/1995 - 05/05/1996
Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/21/2002 - 02/16/2003
32Q: 1200 Mid-Century Abstraction I (Painterly Abstraction), Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/10/2018 - 06/02/2021
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org