- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
John Frederick Kensett, American (Cheshire, CT 1816 - 1872 New York, NY)
- Mountain and Lake (Lake George)
- Work Type
- c. 1860
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 35.5 x 60.9 cm (14 x 24 in.)
framed: 42.2 x 68 x 4.5 cm (16 5/8 x 26 3/4 x 1 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l. J.K., partially visible
- Acquired by William Hayes Fogg, New York; his bequest to his wife, Mrs. William Hayes Fogg, 1884; her bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1895.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Mrs. William Hayes Fogg
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
"The Kensett Sale", New York Evening Post (March 31, 1873), p. 2
Kenyon Castle Bolton, III, Peter G. Huenink, Earl A. Powell III, Harry Z. Rand, and Nanette C. Sexton, American Art at Harvard, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1972), cat. 73, ill.
The Collection of Over Five Hundred Paintings and Studies by the Late John F. Kensett, auct. cat., Olana Gallery (New York, 1977 (reprint 1873)), no. 578
Görel Cavalli-Björkman and Nils Göran Hökby, En Ny Värld, Amerikanst Landskapmåleri, 1830-1900/ A New World, American Landscape Painting, 1830-1900, exh. cat., Gothenburg Art Museum and National Museum Stockholm (Stockholm, Sweden, 1986)
Melissa Trafton, "Critics, Collectors, and the Nineteenth-Century Taste for the Paintings of John Frederick Kensett" (2003), University of California at Berkeley, pp. iii, 70, 143-45, 161, 295 ill, fig. 12, 423.
Kimberly Orcutt, "Personal Collecting Meets Institutional Vision: The Origins of Harvard's Fogg Art Museum", Journal of the History of Collections (2006), vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 267-284, 274, ill. 277, fig. 9
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 321-22, cat. 285, ill.
- Exhibition History
Collection of Over Five Hundred Paintings and Studies by the Late John F. Kensett, National Academy of Design, 03/24/1873 - 03/29/1873
American Art at Harvard, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/19/1972 - 06/18/1972
A New World, American Landscape Painting, National Museum Stockholm, Stockholm, 09/18/1986 - 11/23/1986; Gothenburg Art Museum, Gothenburg, 12/06/1986 - 02/15/1987
The Persistence of Memory: Continuity and Change in American Cultures, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 07/29/1995 - 05/13/2001
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com