- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
James Abbott McNeill Whistler, American (Lowell, MA 1834 - 1903 London, England)
- Brown and Gold: Lillie "In our Alley!"
- Work Type
- c. 1896
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 51.2 x 30.7 cm (20 3/16 x 12 1/16 in.)
framed: 71.1 x 51.4 x 7 cm (28 x 20 1/4 x 2 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- stamp: verso, center strecher, black ink: Maison CHAPUIS / [illegible text] / [illegible text] / 20, Quai de la Magisserie / 3 Rue les Bonrodonnais [?], 2
- stamp: verso of frame, impressed: M. Grieve / Hand Carved / New York and London
- Sold by the artist to J.J. Cowan, Edinburgh, February 8, 1899. Hunt Henderson, by 1934, bequest; to Tulane University, 1939, sold [through Macdonald Gallery, New York]; to Grenville L. Winthrop, New York, April 1941, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, exh. cat. (London, 1899)
Thomas R. Way, The Art of James McNeill Whistler: An Appreciation, George Bell and Sons, Ltd. (London, England, 1903), p. 50; reproduced opposite p. 50
New Gallery, Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the Late J. McNeill Whistler, exh. cat. (London, England, 1905), no. 18, p. 81, reproduced opposite p. 44
Elisabeth Luther Cary, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study with a Tentative List of the Artist's Work, Moffat, Yard and Company (New York, 1907), no. 379, p. 213
Elizabeth Robins Pennell and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, J. B. Lippincott/W. Heinemann (Philadelphia, PA and London, England, 1908), vol. II, p. 205, 207, 224; reproduced opposite p. 204
Bernhard Sickert, Whistler, Duckworth & Co. (London, England, 1908), no. 116, p. 167
T. Martin Wood, Whistler: Masterpieces in Color, ed. T. Lehman Hare, T. C. & E. C. Jack (London, England, 1908), reproduced plate V, opposite p. 38
James Laver, Whistler, Cosmopolitan Book Corporation (New York, NY, 1930), p. 285
Kenyon Castle Bolton, III, Peter G. Huenink, Earl A. Powell III, Harry Z. Rand, and Nanette C. Sexton, American Art at Harvard, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1972), cat. 94, ill.
Andrew McLaren Young and Margaret F. MacDonald, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, Yale University Press (New Haven, 1980), vol. I, no. 464, p. 203, and vol. II, reproduced in b/w pl. 298
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, exh. cat., The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Yale University Press (U.S.) (New York, 2003), pp. 477-478, cat. 219, ill.
Stephan Wolohojian, Ingres, Burne-Jones, Whistler, Renoir... La Collection Grenville L. Winthrop, exh. cat., Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon and Réunion des Musées Nationaux (Paris, France, 2003), pp. 494-95, cat. 219, ill.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 433, cat. no. 460, reproduced in color
- Exhibition History
Twelfth Summer Exhibition, New Gallery, London, 04/24/1899 - 08/07/1899
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler: First President of the International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, London, 02/22/1905 - 04/15/1905
Paintings, Etchings and Lithographs by James M. Whistler, Kennedy and Co., New York, 11/01/1916 - 12/09/1916
American Art at Harvard, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/19/1972 - 06/18/1972
A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon, Lyon, 03/15/2003 - 05/26/2003; National Gallery, London, 06/25/2003 - 09/14/2003; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 10/23/2003 - 01/25/2004
For Students of Art and Lovers of Beauty: Highlights from the Collection of Grenville L. Winthrop, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/16/2004
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com