- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Louis-Eugène Boudin, French (Honfleur 1824 - 1898 Deauville)
- Antwerp: View of the Port from the Tête de Flandres
- Other Titles
Original Language Title: Port d'Anvers, vu de la Tête de Flandres
Former Title: View of the Port of Antwerp
Former Title: View of Antwerp, the Tête de Flandres
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on cradled panel
- 37.5 x 60 x 3.7 cm (14 3/4 x 23 5/8 x 1 7/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l.: E. Boudin / Anvers 1871
- inscription: l.l.: Anvers
- Charles Viguier, Paris, sold; [his sale, Galerie George Petit, Paris. May 4, 1906, Catalogue no. 8] sold; to [Galerie Georges Petit, Paris] sold, [Collection Georges Petit, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, March 4, 1921]. Dr. Collet, Paris.
[Wildenstein & Company, New York], sold; to Grenville L. Winthrop, (March 2, 1940-1942) gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1942.
Annotated catalogue of 1906 sale suggests Petit bought painting at Viguier sale.
Winthrop paid $4800.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Grenville L. Winthrop, Class of 1886
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Boudin Sale, auct. cat., Hôtel Drouot (Paris, France, January 23, 1878), no. 24
[Unidentified Sale], auct. cat., Hôtel Drouot (Paris, France, December 1, 1899), no. 5
Ch. Viguier Sale, auct. cat., Galerie Georges Petit (Paris, France, May 4, 1906), no. 8, repr.
Sale Collection Georges Petit, auct. cat., Galerie Georges Petit (Paris, France, March 4, 1921), no. 53, repr.
Chinese Sculpture, Bronzes, Jades, Paintings and Drawings, Egyptian and Persian sculpture, Pre-Columbian art; selected from the collection of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1943), p. 7
Georges Jean-Aubry, La Vie et l'oeuvre d'apres les letters et les documents inedits d'Eugene Boudin, Idees et Calendes (Neuchatel, Switzerland, 1968)
Robert Schmit, Eugène Boudin, 1824-1898, Schmit (Paris, France, 1973), Tome I, p. 243, no. 667, repr. in b/w
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990), p. 99; repr. as no. 360
- Exhibition History
Chinese sculpture, bronzes, jades, paintings and drawings, Egyptian and Persian sculpture, Pre-Columbian art : selected from the collection of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/01/1943 - 02/28/1944
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com