- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- White and transparent glass paste on black backing
- 9.5 x 6.7 x 2.1 cm (3 3/4 x 2 5/8 x 13/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: impressed in truncation: W Tassie F 1799
- gallery label: verso, paper, ink, printed and handwritten: [printed in blue:] F. RATHBONE, / 20 Alfred Place West / South Kensington, / LONDON, S. W.
- inscription: truncation, impressed: JAMES TASSIE / DIED 1 JUNE 1799 / IN HIS 64 YEAR
- inscription: backing on verso, black ink, handwritten: Original / enamel of / James Tassie / of London 1799 / by [underlined:] Himself. / 3039
- [Frederick Rathbone, London], sold; to Grenville Lindall Winthrop, New York, 1911, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Tassie in left profile.
- Publication History
Old Wedgwood from the Bequest of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1944), no. 94, p. 39
Louise Todd Ambler, Benjamin Franklin: A Perspective, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1975), no. 72
- Exhibition History
Old Wedgwood from the Bequest of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 06/04/1944 - 09/03/1944
Benjamin Franklin: A Perspective, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/17/1975 - 09/22/1975
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org