- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on panel
- 33 x 27.3 cm (13 x 10 3/4 in.)
framed: 48.9 x 43.8 x 5.7 cm (19 1/4 x 17 1/4 x 2 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: back of panel: ...D. G. Rossetti / May 1863
- inscription: Ink on back of panel: Painted by D. G. Rossetti/May 1863 [may be DGR's hand]There was a label on the back of the panel with verse in Rossetti's hand: She bound her green sleeve on my helm/Sweet pledge of love's sweet meed/Warm was the bared arm round my neck/As well she bade me speed;/And her kiss clings still between my lips,/Heart's heat and strength at need. [Original of this poem in Rossetti's hand now in Fogg Archives.] The third line was wrongly transcribed in the 1946 Pre-Raphaelite catalogue and the Surtees catalogue raisonné, 1971.
- Thomas E. Plint, sold; [Christie's, London, June 17, 1865, lot 124]; to Croft. Grenville Lindall Winthrop, (by 1923  -1943), New York, NY, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
 Winthrop given as owner in 1923 book Masterpieces of D. G. Rossetti
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- Surtees 161
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Catalogue of the Choice Collection of Modern Pictures..., auct. cat., Christie, Manson and Woods, Ltd. (London, June 17, 1865), lot 124
Henry Currie Marillier, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, an illustrated memorial of his art and life, George Bell and Sons, Ltd. (London, England, 1904), p. 67, no. 114 in chronology
Chefs-d'oeuvre de D. G. Rossetti, A. Perche (Paris, France, 1912), repr. in b/w p. 31
Masterpieces of D. G. Rossetti, Gowans & Gray, Ltd. (London, England, 1923), repr. in b/w p. 31
Paintings and Drawings of the Pre-Raphaelites and their Circle, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1946), no. 68
Virginia Surtees, The Paintings and Drawings of Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882): A Catalogue Raisonné, The Clarendon Press (Oxford, England, 1971), no. 161
Lee Sheridan, "'French Symbolist Art' Timely Museum Exhibit", Springfield Daily News (February 1973)
Marina Henderson, D. G. Rossetti, Academy Editions/St. Martin's Press (London, England and New York, NY, 1973), p. 45
Maria Teresa Benedetti, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Casa Editrice G. C. Sansoni (Florence, Italy, 1984), no. 202, repr. p. 239
Theresa Byington, "A Technical Study of Five Oil Paintings by Dante Gabriel Rossetti in the Collection of the Fogg Art Museum" (thesis (certificate in conservation), Straus Center for Conservation and Technical Studies, 1987), Unpublished, passim
Alicia Craig Faxon, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Abbeville Press (New York, NY, 1989), repr. in color p. 153
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990), p. 128; repr. as no. 68
Maria Teresa Benedetti, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Charta (Milan, 1998), no. 202, repr. p. 239
David Acton, Master Drawings from the Worcester Art Museum, exh. cat., Hudson Hills Press/Worcester Art Museum (New York, NY, 1998), p. 152, repr.
Brian Lewis, "Thomas Edward Plint: A Patron of Pre-Raphaelite Painters", Leeds Museums and Galleries Review (2001-2002), no. 4, pp. 30-35, p. 31, repr. p. 34 as pl. 4
Chikashi Kitazaki and Mina Oya, ed., Between Reality and Dreams: Nineteenth Century British and French Art from the Winthrop Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, exh. cat., National Museum of Western Art (Ueno, 2002), pp. 206-207, cat. #62, color repr.
Pre-Raphaelite and Other Masters: The Andrew Lloyd Webber Collection, exh. cat., Royal Academy of Arts (London, 2003), p. 305
Diane Ravitch and Michael Ravitch, The English Reader: What Every Literate Person Needs to Know, Oxford University Press (UK) (Oxford, 2006), p. 22, repr.
- Exhibition History
Paintings and Drawings of the Pre-Raphaelites and their Circle, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/08/1946 - 06/01/1946
Pre-Raphaelite and Early French Symbolist Art in the Fogg Collections, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 01/16/1973 - 02/25/1973
The Pre-Raphaelites: Selections from the Permanent Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 06/04/1980 - 07/15/1980
Dante Gabriel Rossetti: A Centennial Exhibition from the Harvard Collections, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 07/12/1982 - 09/11/1982
Between Reality and Dreams: Nineteenth Century British and French Art from the Winthrop Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 09/14/2002 - 12/08/2002
For Students of Art and Lovers of Beauty: Highlights from the Collection of Grenville L. Winthrop, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/16/2004
32Q: 2130 19th Century, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/17/2016 - 04/21/2017
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org