- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Francesco Guardi, Italian (Venice, Italy 1712 - 1793 Venice, Italy)
- The Fondamenta della Zattere, Venice
- Other Titles
- Former Title: View of Venice
- Work Type
- c. 1770-1780
- Creation Place: Europe, Italy, Veneto, Venice
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 47 x 75.6 cm (18 1/2 x 29 3/4 in.)
frame: 59.1 x 90.5 x 2 cm (23 1/4 x 35 5/8 x 13/16 in.)
- Possibly private collection, England. [Koetser Gallery, New York and London, by April 1942]  sold; to Grenville L. Winthrop, New York, 1942, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943
 W. G. Constable saw painting at Koetser in April 1942. Koetser told him came from collection in England.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Paul Zucker, Styles in Painting: A Comparative Study, Dover Publications Inc. (New York, NY, 1963), p. 212, fig. 170
Burton B. Fredericksen and Federico Zeri, Census of Pre-Nineteenth-Century Italian Paintings in North American Public Collections, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1972), p. 96
H. Travers Newton, "A Technical Comparison of Three Paintings by Francesco Guardi: Isola de Madonnetta, Canale della Giudecca con le Zattere, and Capricio: Landscape in Ruins" (thesis (certificate in conservation), Straus Center for Conservation and Technical Studies, 1979), Unpublished, pp. 1-22 passim
Kristin A. Mortimer and William G. Klingelhofer, Harvard University Art Museums: A Guide to the Collections, Harvard University Art Museums and Abbeville Press (Cambridge and New York, 1986), no. 183, p. 161, repr.
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990), p. 62, color plate; pp. 111, 363, repr. b/w cat. no. 791
- Exhibition History
Masterpieces of European Art, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 06/22/1985 - 09/15/1985
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com