Photo © President and Fellows of Harvard College
Identification and Creation
Object Number
1943.1381
People
Wedgwood, British (founded 1759 )
Title
Nymph with Lamp
Classification
Sculpture
Work Type
sculpture, relief
Date
c. 1785
Places
Creation Place: Europe, United Kingdom, England, Etruria
Culture
British
Persistent Link
https://hvrd.art/o/230002
Physical Descriptions
Medium
Blue jasperware body with darker blue glaze; figure & decoration in white relief
Technique
Jasperware
Dimensions
7.8 x 3.8 x 0.8 cm (3 1/16 x 1 1/2 x 5/16 in.)
Inscriptions and Marks
  • label: verso, paper, black ink, handwritten: Nymph / with a lamp. [Des]? by / by [sic] Stothard R.A. / Old Wedgwood / 1784
Provenance
[Frederick Rathbone, London], sold; to Grenville Lindall Winthrop, 1910, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943
Acquisition and Rights
Credit Line
Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
Accession Year
1943
Object Number
1943.1381
Division
European and American Art
Contact
am_europeanamerican@harvard.edu
THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
Publication History

Old Wedgwood from the Bequest of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1944), no. 5, p. 10

Casey Monahan, "'If I offer you too much you have the remedy by declining it!:' Frederick Rathbone and the Grenville Lindall Winthrop Collection of Wedgwood at the Harvard Art Museums", Proceedings of the Sixty-Fourth Annual Wedgwood International Seminar, Birmingham Museum of Art (Birmingham, 2019), pp. 33-43, p. 38

Exhibition History

Old Wedgwood from the Bequest of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 06/04/1944 - 09/03/1944

Eighteenth Century European Ceramics, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/02/2005 - 06/09/2008

This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at am_europeanamerican@harvard.edu