- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Blade: steel with gold-filled incised decoration and inscriptions; handle: braided brass wire over fabric on a wooden core; guard: cast brass and gilt bronze, with profile portrait of Lafayette enframed in draped flags; lion-headed pummel: cast brass with gilt bronze decoration
- length: 95 cm (37 3/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: inscribed on the recto of the blade: Pour la Nation
- inscription: inscribed on the verso of the blade: Vaincrir ou mourir
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- inscribed on the recto of the blade: "Pour la Nation"; inscribed on the verso of the blade: "Vaincrir ou mourir"
- Publication History
Objets et Souvenirs concernant le General La Fayette: Catalogue of the Girardin Family Collection (n.d.), p. 7
Washington, Lafayette, Franklin: Portraits, Books, Manuscripts, Prints, Memorabilia, for the Most Part from the Collections of the University, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1944), p. 51, cat. 115
Agnes Mongan, Harvard Honors Lafayette, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1975), pp. 80-81, no. 25, repr.
- Exhibition History
Washington Lafayette Franklin, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 02/22/1944 - 05/28/1944
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com