- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Camille Pissarro, Danish (St. Thomas, Danish W. Indies (now U.S. Virgin Islands) 1830 - 1903 Paris)
- The Hermitage, Effect of Snow
- Other Titles
- Original Language Title: L'Hermitage, Effet de Neige
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 54 x 64.8 cm (21 1/4 x 25 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l.: C. Pissarro
- Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Pulitzer, Jr., Purchased from Fine Arts Associates, NY, 1951, Gift to Fogg Art Museum, 1953.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Pulitzer, Jr.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Theodore Duret, Histoire des Peintres Impressionistes, Henri Floury (Paris, France, 1922), repr.
Ludovic Rodo Pissarro and Lionello Venturi, Camille Pissarro: son art--son oeuvre, Paul Rosenberg (Paris, France, 1939), vol. II, no. 240, repr. plate 47
Charles Scott Chetham, Modern Painting, Drawing & Sculpture: Collected by Louise and Joseph Pulitzer, Jr., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1957), pp. 83-84, fig. 2, ill. (plate section, b/w)
C. Pissarro : loan exhibition under the patronage of Monsieur Michel Legendre ... and Monsieur Edouard Morot-Sir ... for the benefit of Recording for the Blind, Inc., exh. cat., Wildenstein & Company (New York, NY, 1965), no. 24, repr.
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990), p. 124; repr. as no. 336
Wolf Eiermann, "Camille Pissarro 1830-1903: An Artist's Life", Camille Pissarro, Hatje Cantz Verlag (Ostfildern-Ruit, Germany, 1999), pp. 1 - 35, cat. no. 26, repr.
- Exhibition History
St. Louis Collects, City Art Museum of St. Louis, St. Louis, 04/07/1952 - 05/05/1952
Modern Painting Drawing and Sculpture Collected by Louise and Joseph Pulitzer Jr, Knoedler & Co. Inc., New York, 04/09/1957 - 05/04/1957; Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 05/16/1957 - 09/15/1957
Master Paintings from the Fogg Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/13/1977 - 08/31/1977
Camille Pissarro, Staatsgalerie Stuttgart, Stuttgart, 12/11/1999 - 05/01/2000
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com