- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Maker's mark TL with escallop below in shield-shaped punch, British, English
- Two-Handled Cup and Cover
- Work Type
- 1664 - 1665
- Creation Place: Europe, United Kingdom, England, London
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- 16.2 x 23.8 x 17.5 cm (6 3/8 x 9 3/8 x 6 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- maker's mark: struck on reverse of cover flange: TL [with escallop below in shield-shaped punch] [Jackson, p. 137, line 8]
- hallmark: struck on rim: lion passant, leopard's head, date letter
- hallmark: struck on reverse of cover flange: lion passant, leopard's head, date letter
- hallmark: cover foot: lion passant
- maker's mark: struck on rim: TL [with escallop below in shield-shaped punch] [Jackson, p. 137, line 8]
- Edwin Hale Abbot Jr., Cambridge, MA, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1966.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Edwin H. Abbot
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Of bulbous circular form, repoussé and chased with a broad band of flower heads with a running lion on one side and a bear with a chain around its neck on the other, all under a wrigglework band, with two cast ribbed scroll handles headed by female masks; the domed cover with similar chasing and with flat spool-form foot.
Embossed decoration of scrolling flower heads became popular in the years following the Restoration. Based on Dutch and north German examples, much of it was probably done by immigrant craftsmen.
- Publication History
Christopher Hartop, British and Irish Silver in the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University Art Museums/Yale University Press (Cambridge, Mass. and New Haven, 2007), p. 51, cat. no. 19, repr. in b/w; repr. in b/w on p. 6 (with cat. no. 19).
- Exhibition History
32Q: 2340 Cabinet Gallery, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/16/2014 - 09/24/2019
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org