- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 109.5 x 108.8 cm (43 1/8 x 42 13/16 in.)
framed: 134.7 x 134.7 cm (53 1/16 x 53 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: in image, l.l.: N. MAES
- Colonel Ridgeway, Shipley Court, Devonshire, sold; [Sotheby's July 19, 1922, no 61]; to [A.M. Bouwens, the Hague, 1926] sold?; to [Vose Gallery, Boston, (by January 1927- May 1930)] sold; to [A. M. Bouwens, the Hague, May 1930]. [D. Katz, Dieren (? - 1937)] consigned; to [Schaeffer Galleries, New York (September 1937- at least 1947)]. [Christie's, December 8. 1950, no. 94]. [Sothebys, London, February 23, 1955 lot 131] sold; to [Frost & Reed, London (February 1955-February 1956)] sold; to [Vose Gallery, Boston (1956-1957)] sold; to Fogg Art Museum, 1957.
Not clear whether Bouwens actually sold painting to Vose, or simply sent it for display and possible sale in Boston.
Vose inventory numbers: 7601 (1927) 18952 (1956)
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Louise E. Bettens and Friends of the Fogg Art Museum Funds
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Tentoonstelling van 16de en 17de eeuwsche Hollandische, Vlaamsche en Italiaansche Schilderijen uit de Collectie der Firma D. Katz te Dieren, exh. cat., Van Abbemuseum (Eindhoven, 1936), cat. no. 36, p. 14-15, repr.
Paintings, Drawings, and Sculpture from the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, exh. cat., Yale University Art Gallery (New Haven, 1967)
Paintings, Sculpture and Drawings from the Fogg Art Museum, exh. cat., Albright-Knox Art Gallery (Buffalo, NY, 1967), cat. 13
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990)
Timon Screech, "Dressing Samuel Pepys: Japanese Garments and International Diplomacy in the Edo Period", Orientations (February 2002), vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 50-57, p. 55, repr. as fig. 7
- Exhibition History
Paintings, Sculpture and Drawings from the Fogg Art Museum, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 05/08/1967 - 06/11/1967
Paintings, Drawings, Sculpture from the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 10/12/1967 - 12/03/1967
The Portrait, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/15/2004 - 01/09/2005
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org