- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 155.6 x 107.6 cm (61 1/4 x 42 3/8 in.)
framed: 206.1 x 158.8 x 15.2 cm (81 1/8 x 62 1/2 x 6 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l.: E. Johnson 1887
- Commissioned by Mrs. William Hayes Fogg, 1887; gift to New York Chamber of Commerce and Industry, probably 1887; its sale to the Fogg Art Museum.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, William M. Prichard Memorial Fund and through the generosity of an anonymous donor
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Catalogue of Portraits in the Chamber of Commerce, the State of New York (New York, NY, 1924), p. 18, no. 35
John I. H. Baur, Eastman Johnson, 1824-1906 : An American Genre Painter, exh. cat., Brooklyn Museum (New York, NY, 1940), p. 68
Kimberly Orcutt, "Personal Collecting Meets Institutional Vision: The Origins of Harvard's Fogg Art Museum", Journal of the History of Collections (2006), vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 267-284, p. 268, fig. 2
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 308-9, cat. 267, ill.
- Exhibition History
[Permanent exhibition], New York Chamber of Commerce and Industry, New York, 01/01/1887 - 09/01/1982
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com