- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Benjamin Franklin Eddy, American (Wethersfield, VT 1804 -after 1880)
After Matthew William Peters, British (1742 - 1814)
- The Gamesters, after Matthew William Peters
- Other Titles
Former Title: The Card Players
Former Title: The Card Sharpers
- Work Type
- c. 1840
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on wood panel
- 37.5 x 43.5 cm (14 3/4 x 17 1/8 in.)
framed: 41.3 x 47.6 x 1.9 cm (16 1/4 x 18 3/4 x 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: verso: B. F. Eddy
- label: No. 1 Front St Brooklyn L.
- Frederick H. Gibbens; bequest to Franklin H. Hooper, 1934; his gift to Harvard University, 1935; transferred to the Fogg Art Museum, 1976.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Transfer from the Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Franklin H. Hooper, Class of 1883, 1935
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Mary Bartlett Cowdrey, National Academy of Design Exhibition Record, 1826-1860 (New York, NY, 1943), p. 143
"Playing with Money", The Wilson Quarterly (Autumn 1995), vol. 19, no. 4, ill. p. 9
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 193, cat. 146, ill.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org