- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Odilon Redon, French (Bordeaux, France 1840 - 1916 Paris, France)
- Village Square, Brittany
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: Near the Harbor, Brittany / Brittany Fishing Village
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on composition board
- 20.96 x 28.58 cm (8 1/4 x 11 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l: Odilon Redon
- [Daregnès, Paris]. [David Findlay Gallery, New York]. Mrs. Richard J. Bernhard, New York, c.1961; to Robert Bernhard, New York, c. 1970; to Bernhard Foundation, New York, sold [through Sotheby Parke Bernet, New York, May 26, 1976, lot 13].  [R. M. Light & Co., Santa Barbara], sold; to Frances Hofer, 1977, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1979
 Provenance in Catalogue Raisonne lists Wildenstein in between Bernhard Foundation and the Sotheby Park Bernet sale. However, this is unable to be confirmed as the auction catalogue suggests a direct transfer between the Bernhard Foundation and the auction house.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Frances L. Hofer
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Odilon Redon, Gustave Moreau [and] Rodolphe Bresdin, exh. cat., Doubleday & Co. (Garden City, NY, 1961), no. 8, repr. in color p. 54
Venice Bienniale XXXI, exh. cat. (Venice, Italy, 1962), p. 137, no. 2
Klaus Berger, Odilon Redon: Phantasie und Farbe, M. DuMont Schauberg (Cologne, Germany, 1964), no. 17, p. 183
Odilon Redon: Loan Exhibition, exh. cat., Acquavella Galleries (New Yorki, 1970), no. 1, repr.
Important Impressionist and Modern Paintings and Sculptures, auct. cat., Sotheby Parke Bernet & Co. (New York, May 26, 1976), lot 13, repr.
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990), p. 126; repr. as no. 395 (some information transposed with no. 396)
Alec Wildenstein, Odilon Redon: Catalogue raisonné de l'oeuvre peint et dessiné, Wildenstein Institute (Paris, 1992-1998), vol. 3, no. 1835, repr.
- Exhibition History
Redon, Moreau, Bresdin, Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York, 12/04/1961 - 02/04/1962; The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 03/02/1962 - 04/15/1962
Redon Exhibition no. 2, Venice Bienniale XXXI, 1962, Venice, 04/16/1962 - 12/31/1962
Odilon Redon, Acquavella Galleries, New York, 10/22/1970 - 11/21/1970
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org