- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Black ink and white opaque watercolor on beige paper (.1); Rajput Style, Kota School Black and red inks on beige paper (.2), Rajput Style, Kota School
- dimensions for .1: 4.6 x 18.7 cm (1 13/16 x 7 3/8 in.)
dimensions for .2: 3.6 x 13.7 cm (1 7/16 x 5 3/8 in.)
- Stuart Cary Welch (by 1983 - 2008,) by descent; to his estate (2008-2009,) gift; to Harvard Art Museum.
Object was part of long-term loan to Museum in 1983.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, The Stuart Cary Welch Collection, Gift of Edith I. Welch in memory of Stuart Cary Welch
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- This piece consists of two separate folios that have been pasted together. The first folio (2009.202.123.1) bears sketched vignettes; on the left is a dragon on the left with a sinuous body, long neck, large head, and a gaping mouth; in the center is a pair of geese; and on the right are two dragons in combat. The second folio (2009.202.123.2) contains sketches of fish and a turtle. Rajput Style, Kota School.
- Publication History
Stuart Cary Welch, Indian Drawings and Painted Sketches , exh. cat., Asia Society Museum (Washington, D.C, 1976), Page 97/Figure 50
Stuart Cary Welch, "Return to Kotah", Essays on Near Eastern Art and Archaeology in Honour of Charles Kyrle Wilkinson, The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY, 1983), 79, fig. 2
Stuart Cary Welch, Gods, Kings, and Tigers: The Art of Kotah, exh. cat., ed. Stuart Cary Welch, Prestel (New York, NY, 1997), Page 17/Figure 2
Stuart Cary Welch and Kim Masteller, From Mind, Heart, and Hand: Persian, Turkish, and Indian Drawings from the Stuart Cary Welch Collection, exh. cat., Yale University Press (New Haven, 2004), pp. 134-135, no. 41
- Exhibition History
Indian Paintings from a Private Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/13/1983 - 12/11/1983
Five Masters of Persian and Indian Painting, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/11/1992 - 03/09/1992
Linear Graces ... and Disgraces: Part I, Drawings from the Courts of Persia, Turkey, and India, 15th-19th Centuries, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/15/1994 - 12/11/1994
From Mind, Heart, and Hand: Persian, Turkish, and Indian Drawings from SCWelch, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 03/19/2005 - 06/02/2005
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at email@example.com