- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Ink and opaque watercolor on paper; Rajput Style, Kota School
- 13.7 x 13.4 cm (5 3/8 x 5 1/4 in.)
- Stuart Cary Welch (by 1983 - 2008,) by descent; to his estate (2008-2009,) gift; to Harvard Art Museum.
Object was part of long-term loan to Museum in 1983.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, The Stuart Cary Welch Collection, Gift of Edith I. Welch in memory of Stuart Cary Welch
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- The majority of the page depicts a large antelope that is executed in varying degrees of completion. It has a bridle which is attached to a chain, all of which are faintly-drawn. It has big ears, a small tail, and short, dark antlers. Its back left leg is lifted. Across the top of the page and the lower left corner are swirls and scribbles executed in a variety of colors. These bold lines signify the artist testing colors and strokes, as well as adjusting the amount of pigment held in the brushes. Rajput Style, Kota School.
- Publication History
Stuart Cary Welch, Indian Drawings and Painted Sketches , exh. cat., Asia Society Museum (Washington, D.C, 1976), Page 98/Figure 51
Stuart Cary Welch and Kim Masteller, From Mind, Heart, and Hand: Persian, Turkish, and Indian Drawings from the Stuart Cary Welch Collection, exh. cat., Yale University Press (New Haven, 2004), pp.156-157, no. 51
- Exhibition History
From Mind, Heart, and Hand: Persian, Turkish, and Indian Drawings from SCWelch, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 03/19/2005 - 06/02/2005
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at firstname.lastname@example.org