- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Gray-black and brown inks and watercolor on beige laid paper; Rajput Style, Kota School
- 21 x 20 cm (8 1/4 x 7 7/8 in.)
- Stuart Cary Welch (by 1983 - 2008,) by descent; to his estate (2008-2009,) gift; to Harvard Art Museum.
Object was part of long-term loan to Museum in 1983.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, The Stuart Cary Welch Collection, Gift of Edith I. Welch in memory of Stuart Cary Welch
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- The page features studies of an angry woman with a furrowed brow and mouth agape. She gestures with her left arm proper. The top right of the page is occupied by a partial sketch of Lokapurusha, or “Cosmic Man”, from his waist to his feet. His stomach features two large elephants and a small depiction of the blue-skinned, Hindu god Vishnu resting on Shesha, a multi-headed cobra that is believed to hold all of the plants of the universe on his hoods. Vishnu is accompanied by his wife, Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth. His legs are composed of architectural elements. Rajput Style, Kota School.
- Publication History
Milo Cleveland Beach, Rajput Painting at Bundi and Kotah, Artibus Asiae Publishers (Ascona, Switzerland, 1974), p. 41; pl. C, fig. 109
Stuart Cary Welch, Indian Drawings and Painted Sketches , exh. cat., Asia Society Museum (Washington, D.C, 1976), Page 102/Figure 54
Stuart Cary Welch, "A Matter of Empathy: Comical Indian Pictures", Asian Art & Culture, ed. Karen Sagstetter, Oxford University Press (UK) (New York, NY, Fall/Winter 1994), vol. 7, no. 1, Page 78/Figure 1
Stuart Cary Welch and Kim Masteller, From Mind, Heart, and Hand: Persian, Turkish, and Indian Drawings from the Stuart Cary Welch Collection, exh. cat., Yale University Press (New Haven, 2004), pp. 168-169, no. 57
- Exhibition History
The Music Room, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/22/1984 - 11/11/1984
From Mind, Heart, and Hand: Persian, Turkish, and Indian Drawings from SCWelch, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 03/19/2005 - 06/02/2005
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at firstname.lastname@example.org