- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Ink and opaque watercolor on paper
- 15 x 11.5 cm (5 7/8 x 4 1/2 in.)
- Stuart Cary Welch (by 1969 - 2008,) by descent; to his estate (2008-2009,) gift; to Harvard Art Museum.
Object was part of temporary loan to Museum in 1969.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, The Stuart Cary Welch Collection, Gift of Edith I. Welch in memory of Stuart Cary Welch
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- The chair depicted on the page has a large pink seat and backing. The chair’s frame is white and is detailed with gold flower medallions and moulded leaves. On both arms are thick, cushioned arm rests made up of pink fabric on the top and green fabric on the bottom. The top panel of the chair frame has two flower medallions with scrolling leaves on both sides. At the center are two large, gold leaves the cross each other. Above it is the inscription, “G IV R”, referring to George IV (r. 1820-1830). The very top of the chair has a large oval, gold medallion with a crown on top. It is flanked by a crowned yellow lion on the left and a pink unicorn on the left. The feet of the chair are gold lion feet and the bottom of the chair is decorated with pink fringe.
In front of the char is a pink-cushioned foot rest. The feet of the chair are gold lion feet and the bottom of the chair is decorated with pink fringe.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at firstname.lastname@example.org