- Identification and Creation
Level 2, Room 2550, Art from Islamic Lands, The Middle East and North Africa
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- 154 x 116 cm (60 5/8 x 45 11/16 in.)
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Gift of Elizabeth Gowing, Harborne W. Stuart, Peggy Coolidge, and the Estate of W.I. Stuart in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Willoughby H. Stuart, Jr.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Prayer carpet with red field, two amulets, bottom of side borders not resolved. Two amulet motifs.
Warps: 2 Z spun S plied undyed ivory wool; warps on one level. Wefts: 1 Z spun yarn, in 1 + 1 construction in red and darker red wool. Pile: 2 Z spun S plied wool. Pile colors: red, light orange, yellow, blue-green, blue, purple, undyed ivory, black/brown (corrosive). Knots: symmetrical. 34 knots per vertical decimeter; 35 knots per horizontal decimeter; 1190 knots per square decimeter. Both selvedges: 4 flat bundles of 2 warps each wrapped in red weft wool. Top: 3/5 cm. of tapestry weave with approximately 1 cm. right to left flat transverse warp braid. Bottom: 1.5 cm. red tapestry weave, stripped.
- Publication History
Walter B. Denny, Oriental Rugs, Smithsonian Institution (Washington, D.C, 1979), p. 49, fig. 29
- Exhibition History
Pride of the Village: Rugs and Kilims of Turkey, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 07/08/1988 - 10/09/1988
Enter Ye the Garden: Prayer Rugs of Islam, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 05/26/1989 - 08/20/1989
Woven, Hammered, and Thrown: Textiles and Objects from the Islamic World, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/22/1991 - 08/18/1991
Pattern and Purpose. Decorative Arts of Islam., Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 02/19/1994 - 07/03/1994
A Grand Legacy: Arts of the Ottoman Empire, Harvard University Art Museums, Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 10/09/1999 - 01/02/2000
The Best Workmanship, the Finest Materials: Prayer Carpets of the Islamic World, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 08/03/2002 - 12/15/2002
32Q: 2550 Islamic, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/06/2019 - 06/30/2021
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at email@example.com