- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Gai Qi 改琦, Chinese (1774 - 1829)
- Farewell to Spring Briar Roses
- Other Titles
- Original Language Title: 酴醾春去圖
- Work Type
- hanging scroll, painting
- early 19th century
- Creation Place: East Asia, China
- Qing dynasty, 1644-1911
- Persistent Link
Level 2, Room 2600, East Asian Art, East Asian Painting and Decorative Arts
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- Hanging scroll; ink and light color on silk
- painting proper: H. 87.6 x W. 28.5 cm (34 1/2 x 11 1/4 in.)
overall mounting, with roller ends and cord: H. 273.7 x W. 58.4 cm (107 3/4 x 23 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: With signature and seals of the artist
inscription: right edge of painting proper:
Casually, she coils her hair atop her head and dons simple robes.
Even as the briar roses bloom, the spring flowers are already withering.
She, a beauty, is most nostalgic about the spring.
She breaks off a flowering branch to take a closer look.
[This is a] copy of Layman Liuru [Ming painter Tang Yin]’s Farewell to Spring Briar Roses by Gai Qi.
[Translated by Yuhua Ding]
- seal: of artist; after insciption; intaglio, rectangular: 香白 [Xiangbai]
- seal: of artist; after insciption; intaglio, square: 改琦 [Gai Qi]
- seal: of artist; lower left; relief, square: 玉壺外史 [Yuhu waishi]
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Edward B. Bruce Collection of Chinese Paintings; Gift of Galen L. Stone
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Exhibition History
Chinese Painting and Decorative Arts from the Permanent Collection, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 08/17/1991 - 01/26/1992
Later Chinese and Japanese Figure Painting in Decorative Arts, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 02/22/1992 - 06/07/1992
Paragons of Wisdom and Virtue: East Asian Figure Painting, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 02/15/1997 - 09/21/1997
32Q: 2600 East Asian, Japanese, Chinese and Korean, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/09/2016 - 12/01/2016; Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/29/2021 - 06/30/2022
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at firstname.lastname@example.org