- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Black ink on off-white wove paper
- 13 x 20.4 cm (5 1/8 x 8 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: l.l., graphite: Sir E. J. Poynter
- inscription: l.l., graphite: John S. Sargent / 5th Aug 1913
- inscription: right center, black ink: [arithmetical calculation:] 44 to [ ] / 203 - [coming? corning?] / 20 / 223
- David Murray, London, sold; [through Christie’s, London, May 28, 1934, lot 2], sold; [to Martin Birnbaum], gift; to Grenville L. Winthrop, 1935, bequeathed; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943
A number of the drawings in this album were given to Murray (a Scottish landscape painter and Royal Academician, 1849-1933) by Sargent. Murray lived at 1A Langham Chambers, Portland Place, London.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Walter Tittle, "My Memories of John Sargent", The Illustrated London News (April 25, 1925), vol. CLXVI, ill. p. 725
David McKibbin, Sargent's Boston, exh. cat., Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Boston, MA, 1956), p. 117, Check List of Sargent's Portraits
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com