- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Jacques-Louis David, French (Paris 1748 - 1825 Brussels)
- Prince Joseph Napoleon, Later King of Naples and Subsequently King of Spain; verso: blank page
- Work Type
- drawing, sketchbook page
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Black crayon over graphite, squared in black crayon, on off-white antique laid paper
- 23.7 x 17.9 cm (9 5/16 x 7 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: recto, lower left, brown ink: [paraph of Eugène David; Lugt 839]
- inscription: recto, lower center, graphite, by David: Louis d'Hollande [crossed out in black crayon]; [lower right:] joseph Napoleon
- Jacques-Louis David, David Estate sale, Paris, A. N. Pérignon, 1826. sale, April 17, 1826, lot 75 or 79
Duchesse de Bassano, to her daughter Mlle de Bassano.
Mademoiselle de Bassano.
Martin Birnbaum, purchased from Mlle de Bassano, 1937, for Grenville L. Winthrop.
Grenville Lindall Winthrop, purchased 1937, bequest to Fogg, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- The previous page (numbered 25) was removed before the sketchbook was acquired by the Fogg.
- Publication History
Pierre Rosenberg and Louis-Antoine Prat, Jacques-Louis David 1748-1825: Catalogue raisonné des dessins, Leonardo Arte (Milan, 2002), cat. no. 1662, repr. recto
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org