- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
John James Keith, British, English (1824 - 1870)
Designed by William Butterfield, British (1814 - 1900)
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: Chalice (in the Gothic revival style)
- Work Type
- Creation Place: Europe, United Kingdom, England, London
- British, English
- Persistent Link
Level 2, Room 2340, European and American Art, 17th–19th century, The Silver Cabinet: Art and Ritual, 1600–1850
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- 23.5 x 15.5 x 15.5 cm (9 1/4 x 6 1/8 x 6 1/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: Hallmarked IK, London, 1849
- inscription: bottom, engraved: An oblation to the Church / of St. John the Evangelist / Stratford Christmas Day / MDCCCXLIX
- inscription: around bowl, engraved: In gothic script: "Bibebant de spiritali consquente eos petra petra autem erat christus"
- hallmark: under base, stamped: Queen Victoria's head, facing left, in an oval shield; leopard's head (London); gothic "O" within a shield (1849); lion passant (assay mark)
- maker's mark: on base, stamped: I [pellet] K [John James Keith; Clume, no. 8238, 8239, or 8240]
- Church of St. John the Evangelist, Stratford, Essex, disposed of sometime prior to 1925. [David Allen Antiquaire, Paris] sold; to Harvard Art Museums, 1999.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Paul Clarke Stauffer Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- On stepped lobed base rising to a hexagonal knop stem and hemispherical bowl engraved with a Latin inscription above wavy rays, the underside engraved: An oblation to the Church of St John the Evangelist Stratford Christmas Day Mdcccxlix
- Publication History
James Cuno, ed., A Decade of Collecting: Recent Acquisitions by the Harvard University Art Museums, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, Mass., Spring 2000), p. 59, repr.
Christopher Hartop, British and Irish Silver in the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University Art Museums/Yale University Press (Cambridge, Mass. and New Haven, 2007), pp. 184-185, cat. no. 180, repr. p. 184, details repr. pp. 184-185.
- Exhibition History
32Q: 2340 Cabinet Gallery, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/16/2014 - 09/24/2019; Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/25/2019 - 12/31/2024
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org