- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Herman Saftleven, Dutch (Rotterdam, Netherlands 1609 - 1685 Utrecht, Netherlands)
- Ruins in Utrecht by the Saint Jobsgasthuis
- Work Type
- Creation Place: Europe, Netherlands
- Persistent Link
Level 3, Room 3610, University Teaching Gallery
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- Black chalk, gray and brown and green and yellow transparent watercolor on cream antique laid paper, framing line on three sides in gray ink
- 19.4 x 15 cm (7 5/8 x 5 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: Verso, upper edge, brown ink: Dit op dander sijde getekent van Herman Saftleven is ouer St. Jop @ 1674.
- inscription: verso, lower left, graphite: LW
- inscription: verso, lower left, graphite: 30037
- inscription: verso, lower center, graphite: H. Saftleven
- inscription: verso, lower center, graphite: MD 426
- inscription: verso, upper edge, brown ink, pen, Dutch, in artist's hand: Dit op dander sijde getekent van Herman Saftleven is ouder St. Jop @ 1674.
- inscription: on former mount, in object file, graphite: 30037 [in same hand as on verso of object]
- watermark: none
- Maida and George Abrams, Boston, 1975; The Maida and George Abrams Collection, 1999.168.
NOTE: Per Mr. Abrams, probably purchased from a dealer in the 1970's.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- The Maida and George Abrams Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Franklin W. Robinson, Selections from the Collection of Dutch Drawings of Maida and George Abrams, exh. cat., Jewett Arts Center (Wellesley, MA, 1969), cat. 61, repr.
W. Schulz, Herman Saftleven, 1609-1685: Leben und Werke: mit einem kritischen Katalog..., De Gruyter (Berlin, Germany and New York, NY, 1982), cat. no. 551, p. 276
- Exhibition History
Selections from the Collection of Dutch Drawings of Maida and George Abrams, Hopkins Center Art Galleries, Hanover, 03/27/1969 - 04/28/1969; Wellesley College Museum of Art, Wellesley, 05/04/1969 - 06/04/1969; Rhode Island School of Design Museum, Providence, 09/17/1969 - 10/12/1969; University of Connecticut Museum of Art, Storrs, 10/18/1969 - 11/16/1969
32Q: 2300 Dutch & Flemish, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 07/19/2016 - 11/08/2016
- Subjects and Contexts
Dutch, Flemish, & Netherlandish Drawings
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com