- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Sketchbook with brown fabric-covered cardboard covers
- 15 x 23.5 x 1.4 cm (5 7/8 x 9 1/4 x 9/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: graphite, front pastedown: S R Gifford / 15 10th St. New York
- inscription: u.l. of front pastedown, graphite: 5 1/2 x 9 / [SS ¢?]
- inscription: left edge of front pastedown, graphite, in artist's hand: [written with page oriented vertically:] Sutherland Pond, 5 miles from Cornwall / [small sketches, landscape] / Coat from Mr. G. Smith Homans / to be left for Mr. Fitz Hugh Ludlow / at the office of The Evening Post.
- By descent through artist's family, 1880; Alice Carter Gifford, Cambridge, MA; bequeathed to her son Sanford Gifford, Cambridge, MA; his gift to the Harvard University Art Museums, 2001.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Sanford Gifford
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Brown fabric-covered cardboard covers with torn pencil sleeve. Sewn page block. Binding completely broken. Pages of buff wove paper, each 14.2 x 22.8 cm. Rounded corners. Drawings in graphite, one with white chalk. Thirty-one pages of drawings; pp. 32 through 37 are blank. The front pastedown has small landscape sketches which may relate to the inscription there. The rear pastedown has a drawing of a landscape with a figure.
- Publication History
Ila Weiss, Poetic Landscape: The Art and Experience of Sanford R. Gifford, University of Delaware Press (Newark, DE, 1987), pp. 90, 99, 332
Harvard University Art Museums, Harvard University Art Museums Annual Report 2001-2002 (Cambridge, MA, 2003), p. 23
Sandra Kelberlau, "How One Landscape-Painter Paints: The Technique of Sanford Robinson Gifford" (thesis (certificate in conservation), Straus Center for Conservation and Technical Studies, June 2006), Unpublished, pp. 1-8 passim
Kevin J. Avery, Sanford R. Gifford in the Catskills, exh. cat., Thomas Cole National Historic Site (Catskill, New York, 2017), p. 12, 2001.165.11 repr. as fig 8
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org