- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
John Marin, American (Rutherford, NJ 1870 - 1953 Addison, Cape Split, ME)
Frame by John Marin, American (Rutherford, NJ 1870 - 1953 Addison, Cape Split, ME)
- The Cove, Cape Split, Maine
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Watercolor, gouache, and black chalk on off-white wove paper mounted to board
- 39.2 x 52.5 cm (15 7/16 x 20 11/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.r., black ink: Marin 36
- gallery label: printed and typed: THE DOWNTOWN GALLERY 32 E. 51st St., New York / ARTIST: JOHN MARIN NO: 3617 / TITLE: THE COVE, CAPE SPLIT--MAINE DATE: 1936 / MEDIUM: WATERCOLOR SIZE: 20 5/8 X 15 1/2 [S.P. number is whited out]
- inscription: On verso, in graphite: "green as in pasture" or "green as in picture"
- Possibly [The Downtown Gallery, New York, New York]. Herbert and Mildred Lee, Boston, Massachusetts, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 2002.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert C. Lee in honor of James Cuno
- © Estate of John Marin / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Sheldon Reich, John Marin: A Stylistic Analysis and Catalogue Raisonné, University of Arizona Press (Tucson, AZ, 1970), vol. 2, no. 36.40, repr. p. 683
Harvard University Art Museums, Harvard University Art Museums Annual Report 2002-2003 (Cambridge, MA, 2004), repr. p. 18
Debra Bricker Balken, John Marin: Modernism at Midcentury, exh. cat., Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven and London, 2011), pp. 14, 22-23, 98, ill. (color)
- Exhibition History
John Marin Retrospective Exhibition, Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, 01/14/1962 - 02/11/1962
John Marin: Modernism at Midcentury, Portland Museum of Art, Portland, 06/23/2011 - 10/09/2011
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org