- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 76.2 x 63.5 cm (30 x 25 in.)
110.8 x 87 x 10.2 cm (43 5/8 x 34 1/4 x 4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: on verso [not in artist's hand]: J WINTHROP/COPY FROM VAN DYCK BY OSGOOD
- Gift of Thomas L. Winthrop to Harvard College, 1835.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Thomas L. Winthrop to Harvard College, 1835
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
[Letter], 1827 -1836, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1835, p. 145; 1835, p. 400
William Garrott Brown, A List of Portraits in the Various Buildings of Harvard University, Harvard University Library (Cambridge, MA, 1898), p. 44
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), pp. 149-150
Historical Records Survey, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Works Progress Administration, American Portraits, 1620-1825, found in Massachusetts, Volumes 1 and 2, Historical Records Survey (Boston, MA, 1939), p. 475
Lawrence Shaw Mayo, The Winthrop Family in America, Massachusetts Historical Society (Boston, MA, 1948), pp. 11-33
Andrew Oliver, Ann Millspaugh Huff, and Edward W. Hanson, Portraits in the Massachusetts Historical Society: An Illustrated Catalogue with Descriptive Matter, Massachusetts Historical Society (Boston, MA, 1988), p. 125
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 369, cat. 334, ill.
Harvard & The Legacy of Slavery, website, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, April 25, 2022, p. 63, 124
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com