- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- sight: 90.1 x 72.3 cm (35 1/2 x 28 7/16 in.)
framed: 124.5 x 109.2 x 10.2 cm (49 x 43 x 4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: u. r.: Fred'c P. Vinton/1878
- label: bronze plaque below painting "THOMAS GOLD APPLETON, 1812-1884/ Essayist and Poet/ By Frederic Porter Vinton"
- Commissioned by Thomas Gold Appleton, 1878; estate of his brother Nathan Appleton, probably 1884; to his son William Sumner Appleton, 1911; to his sisters, Dorothy A. Weld, Eleanor A. Standen, and Gladys H. Winterbottom, 1951; their gift to Harvard College, 1952.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Dorothy A. Weld, Eleanor A. Standen and Gladys H. Winterbottom
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), p. 15
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 377, cat. 409, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com