- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown ink and white opaque watercolor on off-white antique laid paper, partial framing line in brown ink
- actual: 20.2 x 25.6 cm (7 15/16 x 10 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: verso, lower left, graphite: 2584
- inscription: verso, lower right, graphite: Rembrant. B.
- watermark: none
- Von Eelking, sold; [Heberle, 3-4 June, 1902, lot 133]. Private Collector, Scandinavia, sold [through Amsler and Ruthardt, Berlin, 25-27 May 1908, lot 415]; to F. Güterbock.  Dr. Edmund Schilling, London.  [Dr. W. Feilchenfeldt, Zurich]. [Eberhard Kornfeld, Bern], sold [through Richard H. Zinsser, Forest Hills, New York]; to Fogg Art Museum, 1955
 According to Benesch 1934, the drawing is still in the collection of Güterbock.
 Schilling began collecting circa 1950 [see Bartrum, "Edmund Schilling (1888-1974), Scholar and Collector: Old Master Drawings at the British Museum," Apollo Magazine, 1997, pp. 52-53
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of James N. Rosenberg in honor of Paul J. Sachs through the Gifts for Special Uses Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Handzeichnungen und Aquarelle, auct. cat., Amsler & Ruthardt (Berlin, May 25, 1908), p. 35, lot 415, repr.
Otto Benesch, Rembrandt Werk und Forschung, Gilhofer & Ranschburg (Vienna, 1935), p. 55
Jakob Rosenberg, "A Rembrandt Drawing: Pilate Washing His Hands", Annual Report (Fogg Art Museum) (1954-55), p. 12, repr. p. 13
Edward A. Maser, Thirtieth Anniversary Celebration: Masterworks from University and College Art Collections, exh. cat., University of Kansas Museum of Art (Lawrence, KS, 1958), cat. no. 46, n.p.
Felice Stampfle and Egbert Haverkamp-Begemann, Rembrandt Drawings from American Collections, exh. cat., The Morgan Library & Museum (New York, NY, 1960), cat. no. 60, pp. 44-45, repr. pl. 53, fig. 60
Highlights from the Collections of the Fogg Museum and Harvard Alumni of St. Louis, exh. cat., City Art Museum of St. Louis (St. Louis, 1964), cat. no. 11, n.p.
Paintings, Sculpture and Drawings from the Fogg Art Museum, exh. cat., Albright-Knox Art Gallery (Buffalo, NY, 1967), no. 15
Otto Benesch, The Drawings of Rembrandt [enlarged ed.], Phaidon Press (Oxford, 1973), no. 937
Franklin W. Robinson, Seventeenth Century Dutch Drawings from American Collections, exh. cat., International Exhibitions Foundation (Washington, D.C, 1977), cat. no. 38, pp. xvi and 43-44, repr.
Seymour Slive, "Rembrandt at Harvard", Apollo (June 1978), vol. 107, no. 196, pp. 452-463, p. 458, repr. p. 460, fig. 13
Konrad Oberhuber, European Master Drawings of Six Centuries from the Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, exh. cat., National Museum of Western Art (Tokyo, 1979), cat. no. 51, n.p., repr. pl. 51
Peter C. Sutton, A Guide to Dutch Art in America, Netherlands-American Amity Trust and Eerdmans (Washington, D.C. and Grand Rapids, MI, 1986), p. 42
William W. Robinson, "[Review] Holm Bevers, Zeichnungen der Rembrandtschule im Berliner Kupferstichkabinett: Kritischer Katalog, Master Drawings (Spring 2020), LVIII, no. 1, pp. 113-122, p. 119, note 44 (p. 122)
- Exhibition History
Rembrandt, Kunstmuseum Bern, Bern, 04/18/1937 - 05/30/1937
Masterworks from University and College Art Collections, University of Kansas Museum of Art, Lawrence, 02/22/1958 - 03/30/1958
Highlights from the Collection of the Fogg Art Museum and Harvard Alumni of St. Louis, City Art Museum of St. Louis, St. Louis, 01/30/1964 - 03/01/1964
Paintings, Sculpture and Drawings from the Fogg Art Museum, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 05/08/1967 - 06/11/1967
Seventeenth Century Dutch Drawings from American Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 01/30/1977 - 03/13/1977; Denver Art Museum, Denver, 04/01/1977 - 05/15/1977; Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, 06/01/1977 - 07/15/1977
European Master Drawings of Six Centuries from the Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 11/03/1979 - 12/16/1979
Rembrandt: A Selection of his Works, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 10/18/1984 - 12/11/1984
Rembrandt and His School: Drawings from the Museum Boymans-van Beuningen Rotterdam, Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 12/02/1989 - 01/28/1990
Rembrandt Prints & Drawings, Davis Museum at Wellesley College, Wellesley, 11/05/2008 - 12/14/2008
- Subjects and Contexts
Dutch, Flemish, & Netherlandish Drawings
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org