- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 76.5 x 61.9 cm (30 1/8 x 24 3/8 in.)
framed: 98.4 x 81.9 x 10.2 cm (38 3/4 x 32 1/4 x 4 in.)
- Mrs. Gordon Dexter; her gift to the Fogg Art Museum, 1942.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mrs. Gordon Dexter
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Theodore Bolton and Henry Lorin Binsse, "John Singleton Copley", The Antiquarian (New York, NY, December 1930), pp. 116-118., p. 116
"Gifts", Bulletin of the Fogg Art Museum, Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, November 1942), vol. X, no. 1, p. 3
"Talk of the Town: Auction", The New Yorker, The New Yorker (New York, NY, April 12, 1958), pp. 36-37, p. 37
Jules David Prown, John Singleton Copley, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1966), vol. 2, p. 417
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 162-163, cat. 103, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com