- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on panel
- 24.5 x 19.1 cm (9 5/8 x 7 1/2 in.)
frame: 34 x 28.3 x 3.8 cm (13 3/8 x 11 1/8 x 1 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l.: Gustave Moreau
- inscription: in margin, l.l.: Mise au Tombeau
- inscription: in margin, l.r.: Gustave Moreau.
- Gustave Moreau, sold; to Hector Brame, 1872. Possibly Affered or Affert.  [Galerie Georges Petit, Paris], sod; to Grenville Lindall Winthrop, New York, 1934, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943
 There is an inscription on the verso of Winthrop's photgraph of the painting indicating this name
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Pierre-Louis Mathieu, Gustave Moreau: with a catalogue of the finished paintings watercolors, and drawings, New York Graphic Society (Boston, MA, 1976), catalog no. 96, p. 311; repr. in b/w, text p. 110
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990), p. 121; repr. as no. 317
Pierre-Louis Mathieu, Tout l'oeuvre peint de Gustave Moreau, Flammarion (Paris, France, 1991), no. 125, p. 90
Pierre-Louis Mathieu, Gustave Moreau: Monographie et nouveau catalogue de l'oeuvre achevé, ACR Édition (Paris, France, 1998), no. 111, p. 307, repr.
Chikashi Kitazaki and Mina Oya, ed., Between Reality and Dreams: Nineteenth Century British and French Art from the Winthrop Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, exh. cat., National Museum of Western Art (Ueno, 2002), pp. 108-109, cat. #20, color repr.
- Exhibition History
Moreau and Monticelli, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 05/13/1960 - 06/08/1960
Pre-Raphaelite and Early French Symbolist Art in the Fogg Collections, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 01/16/1973 - 02/25/1973
Between Reality and Dreams: Nineteenth Century British and French Art from the Winthrop Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 09/14/2002 - 12/08/2002
For Students of Art and Lovers of Beauty: Highlights from the Collection of Grenville L. Winthrop, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/16/2004
Ancient to Modern, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/31/2012 - 06/01/2013
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com