- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 99.7 x 76.2 cm (39 1/4 x 30 in.)
frame: 120 x 97.3 cm (47 1/4 x 38 5/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- (not assigned): Previously, a painting of the Adoration by Pannini in the Brooklyn Museum as associated with this number.: On back of old stretcher: "Gioan. Paolo Panini / Sil o Card Valenti / No 347"
- Cardinal Silvio Valenti Gonzaga, Rome (d. 1756); rendered to Marchese Carlo Valenti (Mantua), 1760*, sold; to ?Yver (Amsterdam, May 18, 1763, lots 66 and 67**). ?Northern art market. Comte de Quincey, sold; to Grenville L. Winthrop; bequest to Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
*Estimated at 20 scudi at the time. Ferdinando Arisi records this sale but associates it with paintings by Panini of the same subject today in the Brooklyn Museum. See Ferdinando Arisi, Gian Paolo Panini e i fasti della Roma del Settecento (Rome, 1986) p. 206.
**The paintings sold for 230 Dutch Florins.
Unless otherwise noted, the above information is summarized by Rossella Vodret, "Dopo Silvio Valenti Gonzaga: sule tracce di una collezione," in Raffaella Morselli and Rossella Vodret, eds., Ritratto di una collezione: Pannini e la Galleria del Cardinale Silvio Valenti Gonzaga (Milan, 2005) pp. 48-9.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Richard P. Wunder, "Two Religious Paintings by Pannini" (Spring 1960), XXI, 2, pp. 3-4
Ferdinando Arisi, Gian Paolo Panini (Piacenza, 1961), p. 206, cat. no. 237, fig. 291 (b/w)
Burton B. Fredericksen and Federico Zeri, Census of Pre-Nineteenth-Century Italian Paintings in North American Public Collections, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1972), p. 156
Ferdinando Arisi, Gian Paolo Panini e i fasti della Roma del Settecento (Rome, 1986), p. 265, cat. no. 89
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990), p. 123, no. 760
Raffaella Morselli and Rossella Vodret, ed., Ritratto di una collezione: Pannini e la Galleria del Cardinale Silvio Valenti Gonzaga, exh. cat. (Milan, 2005)
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org