- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Juan Gris, Spanish (Madrid, Spain 1887 - 1927 Boulogne-sur-Seine, France)
- Violin and Glass
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: Violon et Verre
- Work Type
- Creation Place: Europe, France, Paris
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- sight: 91.44 x 59.69 cm (36 x 23 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l.: Juan Gris 1915
- inscription: l.l signed: Juan Gris 1915
- The artist, Paris, 1915; [Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler, Berne]; [Galerie Simon, Paris], sold; to Dr. G. F. Reber, Lausanne, sold; [through Galerie Moos, Geneva]; to Theodore Schempp, Paris; Sydney M. Shoenberg, Jr., St. Louis; Louise and Joseph Pulitzer, Jr., St. Louis (January 22, 1959-1963), gift; to the Fogg Art Museum, 1963.
FN: Douglas Cooper dated January 26, 1959:set aside by Gris in his studio for Kahnweiler at the end of the War per their contract of 1912.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Pulitzer, Jr.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
1936: Works of Art from the Collections of the Harvard Class of 1936, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1961), Cat. no. 35
Charles Scott Chetham, Modern Painting, Drawing & Sculpture: Collected by Louise and Joseph Pulitzer, Jr., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1971), pp. 433-435, fig. 178, ill.
Douglas Cooper, Juan Gris (Paris, France, 1977), p. 188, fig. 122, ill.
Caroline A. Jones, Modern Art at Harvard: The Formation of the Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Collections of the Harvard University Art Museums (New York, NY and Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Art Museums and Abbeville Press, 1985). With an essay by John Coolidge and a preface by John M. Rosenfield. To accompany the inaugural exhibition at the Sackler Museum, Oct 21 1985 - Jan 5 1986, p. 87, fig. 81, color ill.
Kristin A. Mortimer and William G. Klingelhofer, Harvard University Art Museums: A Guide to the Collections, Harvard University Art Museums and Abbeville Press (Cambridge and New York, 1986), no. 227, p. 198, repr.
Tomás Marco, Spanish Music in the Twentieth Century, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1993), Cover image
- Exhibition History
Works of Art from the Collection of the Harvard Class of 1936, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 06/11/1961 - 08/25/1961
1936: Works of Art from the Collections of the Harvard Class of 1936, Fogg Art Museum, 06/11/1961 - 08/25/1961
Juan Gris, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 10/15/1983 - 12/31/1983; University Art Museum, Berkeley, 02/01/1984 - 04/14/1984; Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, 05/14/1984 - 07/30/1984
32Q: 1300 Early Modernism, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/16/2014 - 10/14/2015
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org