- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Washington Allston, American (Georgetown, SC 1779 - 1843 Cambridge, MA)
Hannah Proud Waterhouse (Mrs. Timothy Waterhouse (1712-1802)
- Hannah Proud Waterhouse (Mrs. Timothy Waterhouse) (1712-1802)
- Work Type
- c. 1796
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Pastel on brown paper
- 53.6 x 42.9 cm (21 1/8 x 16 7/8 in.)
framed: 61 x 50.8 x 3.5 cm (24 x 20 x 1 3/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- label: on verso: "Hannah Proud Waterhouse/ Daughter of John Proud/ & Rebecca Fothegill Proud/ Born in Yorkshire, England/ Married Timothy Waterhouse/ in Newport, R.I., May 11, 1738/ Died in Cambridge at the house of her son, Dr. Benjamin/ Waterhouse, aged 90/ Portrait by Washington Allston"
- label: on verso: "Brought by hand 2/4/1974 by Mr. Welsh for conservation"
- Hannah Proud Waterhouse; family of Dr. Benjamin Waterhouse by descent to Margaret Thayer Lancaster; her gift to Harvard Medical School.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Harvard Medical School, Countway Library
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Nathalia Wright, ed., The Correspondence of Washington Allston, The University Press of Kentucky (Lexington, KY, 1993), p. 21
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 51-52, cat. 9, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com