- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Black ink and red gouache on off-white laid paper
- 63.8 x 45.2 cm (25 1/8 x 17 13/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- watermark: [design of shield with letter C; caduceus; letter F] [in script:] Ingres 1871
- inscription: lower left, graphite: 60 x [?]
- [Buchholz Gallery, Curt Valentin, New York, New York (by 1939)], sold; to Lois Orswell, Pomfret Center, Connecticut, 1950, bequest; to Harvard University Art Museums, 1998.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, The Lois Orswell Collection
- © Estate of Pablo Picasso / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Christian Zervos, Pablo Picasso, Editions Cahiers d'art (Paris, 1932-1978), vol. 6, no. 877, pl. 105
Gary Tinterow, Master Drawings by Picasso, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, Mass., 1981), cat. no. 24, repr.
Hélène Seckel, Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, exh. cat., Musée Picasso (Paris, 1988), cat. 38
Harvard University Art Museums, Harvard University Art Museums Annual Report 1999-2000 (Cambridge, MA, 2001), p. 11, repr. p. 11
Marjorie B. Cohn and Sarah Kianovsky, Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2002), cat. no. 188, fig. 24, pp. 35, 55, 56, 75, 115, p. 189 note 25, 371, 374, 381
Stephan Wolohojian and Alvin L. Clark, Jr., Harvard Art Museum/ Handbook, ed. Stephan Wolohojian, Harvard Art Museum (Cambridge, 2008), p. 185, repr.
- Exhibition History
Master Drawings by Picasso, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 02/20/1981 - 04/05/1981; The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 04/29/1981 - 06/14/1981; Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 07/11/1981 - 08/23/1981
A Decade of Collecting: Recent Acquisitions of Prints and Drawings from 1480 to 1940, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 03/25/2000 - 07/02/2000
Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/21/2002 - 02/16/2003
HAA 10 Survey Course (S421): The Western Tradition: Art Since the Renaissance (Fall 08 Rotation 3), Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 11/20/2008 - 02/08/2009
HAA 10 Survey Course (S421): The Western Tradition: Art Since the Renaissance (Fall 09 Rotation 3), Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 11/13/2009 - 01/17/2010
32Q: 3620 University Study Gallery, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/27/2016 - 11/01/2016
- Subjects and Contexts
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org